Sunday, May 19, 2013

Beauty bloggers you'll love

My dreams are big! Besides dreaming of becoming a published author, another of my goals is to study makeup artistry. The North Carolina School of Arts has an astounding wig and makeup design program and it is on my bucket list to attend. I know I'm almost 30, but that doesn't mean it's too late for me to go back to school, right?

In the meantime I live vicariously, learning from those who are skilled in this trade and are awesome enough to share it with the world. Here are a few of my favorites:

Images © Kandee J

This little beauty (blogger) is Kandee Johnson. This is one woman I would LOVE to share a seat beside. And when I say LOVE, I mean it, too, is on my bucket list. What an honor it would be! Yes, it's far fetched and not likely to happen, but it's on my list anyway. A girl can dream, right?! And I dream BIG!

The past couple of years I have pondered the idea of a 1920's party, a way to celebrate leaving my twenties. (That day creeps closer and closer, but it doesn't look like my party will happen. *sigh*) Anyway, a year or so ago I looked up some tutorials on flapper style makeup and happened upon Kandee's Youtube video. Her humor killed me! I was sold. I've been a blog stalker of hers since. I cannot tell you how I longed for Kandee during the days I stopped blogging and no longer existed within the community. Besides being a phenomenal makeup artist, this lady has the most beautiful heart of any blogger I have ever happened upon. I cannot put her love of life into words. She doesn't merely instill confidence through beauty and makeup, but rather through a persons heart. There was a day I was not doing as well as I would have liked (the day she went blonde above) and her video exhorted her readers to feel beautiful no matter what, from the inside out. I cried that day. I honestly believe God had her words for me. If you don't already follow her, do it. I promise you won't regret it for a moment.


Image © Whippy Cake

Do you know beauty and style blogger Becki, owner of Whippy Cake? I met Becki in high school, although we went to different schools. Well, technically I was in high school, she was in middle school. I am exactly one year to the day older than her. I was a freshman and she was in eighth grade. But we clicked! Did you know even at 14 she loved making pretty things and styling hair? Yes, this is how we spent our weekends together. She had a terrible habit of needing to sneak off to the restroom to fix/reapply her mascara. She would give me such a hard time because I didn't wear mascara on my bottom lashes back then. If she wasn't painting red lips on her purple comforter, she was styling her hair. Back then her spider web hairstyle was quite a hit with the church group.

I remember when she first launched Whippy Cake. MySpace was still the "it" online social media outlet. I was so excited when I got her email and saw her all cute holding a hot pink cupcake! I have followed her blog since she started it. I own many, many Whippy Cake jewelry and hair accessories. I am so proud of everything she has established for herself and her company. I miss her terribly, and she is most certainly one of the first people I contact on the rare occasion I go back to Phoenix.
Image(s) © MaskCara

First, can we take a moment to grin and applaud politely at Cara's creative wordplay? As a writer, I was quite tickled with this! MaskCara is my go-to blog for beauty tips. I found her via Pinterest, actually, when I stumbled upon her Baggage Post. My grandfather cursed me with this atrocity, and the older I get, the more defiant my eyes become. I tried Cara's tip on applying concealer and was hooked. I'm always eager to learn, so I peek in on her in my spare time to see what's new.


******
I want to extend a caution to any beauty tips you find and use across the internet. Be sure the people offering these tips are licensed and knowledgeable in the trade. Any honest beauty blogger will not share some of their techniques, as they know the dangers that can occur if you aren't skilled with certain chemicals. A simple eye shadow application is one thing, but I would hate to see someone with chemical burns because they tried applying rhinestones to their eyes and used the wrong adhesive. My heart fell once when I saw a video of a girl sharing hair styling tips and she burned her hair right off with the styling wand. So please be careful!
****** 

Love dearly,
Steph
Facebook        Twitter        Pinterest         Instagram        Email

No comments:

Post a Comment