Tuesday, February 4, 2014

DIY Burlap Coasters by Put a Bird on It

Hello there! I'm Daniela from Put A Bird On It. I'm super happy to be guest posting here at NewlyMynted. Stephanie has the best style, am I right? Her Great Gatsby printables are to die for - I'm so obsessed. At Put A Bird On It, I am all about simple & inexpensive crafts and DIY projects. I also love giving my readers free stuff and try to have lots of giveaways! I hope you'll stop by and say HI. :)

Today, it is my pleasure to be sharing with you a FUN and easy tutorial for making your own burlap coasters! I seriously swoon over anything and everything burlap. In fact, I have a Pinterest board dedicated to this lovely fabric, which you can find HERE. I was at Michaels with my husband and 1-year old daughter, Ava, when I found their burlap section {of course!}. They had these small burlap squares and my mind immediately went to COASTERS. I've been wanting to DIY some coasters, but have only ever seen the tile ones, which aren't bad, but not exactly what I've been looking for. These burlap ones are more my style, and I was so excited to snag them and get started. The only other things I needed were a few tubes of acrylic paint and a couple of foam brushes {so cheap, right?}. I'm a visual learner, so here is the tutorial in pictures. Enjoy!

Supplies
Burlap squares
acrylic paint in color(s) of choice
foam brushes/pouncers/q-tips
acrylic sealer {not pictured}

I have foam pouncers I usually use for my polka dots, but I wanted to show you how you can use a simple household item to make polka dots: a Q-TIP. This cheap trick works for painting polka dots on your nails, too.


I wanted to experiment with designs & colors, so I made a glittery gold, gray, white & pink "aztec" coaster. I used a small foam brush for the triangles, a q-tip for the polka dots, and broke a q-tip in half and used the non-cotton end to draw the arrows.


Your last step is to spray your coasters with an acrylic sealer. This will ensure that your coasters are waterproof. I tried one without sealing it first and my dirty diet coke sweated all over the coaster. Not good! Don't forget this step!
{intrigued by my Dirty Diet Coke? don't get too excited - there's no alcohol here! my version is sooooo yum you will become addicted like me. get the recipe HERE!}

My favorite coaster: the gold heart!

Thanks to Stephanie for having me. I had a blast sharing my easy coaster tutorial with you guys. I hope you are inspired to make an awesome coaster -- maybe even put a bird on it. :)

xo

Show Daniela some link love. And head over over to her blog where I am sharing a last minute DIY gift for him this Valentines day.

No comments:

Post a Comment