Tuesday, February 18, 2014

The Hunt for the Perfect Cobalt Blue Handbag

Let's take a walk through downtown Boone while we talk about the hunt for the perfect cobalt blue handbag. I don't know if you dears remember me talking about my crush on cobalt, and my longing desire to find a cobalt blue handbag. I am happy to report that after a year-and-a-half of searching for that perfect, reasonably priced handbag, this beauty above fell into my lap. And quite by accident.
I had found the perfect bag. It was remarkable. And on Hautelook for only $35 from $149. When I saw it on the daily deals list, my jaw dropped. A perfect shade of blue, lazer cut. It was stunning. The item was marked "ON HOLD" in someone's cart, but "on hold" doesn't mean "sold out." So I hit my refresh button every second, over and over, just waiting for said person to let go of my little precious. And low and behold, it became mine! Check out never felt so good!
I waited and waited for UPS to drop the box off at my door. I'm talking seeing his truck and running frantically down the street after him like a dog on a chase. After hunting down something to pry the box open with, I pulled back the flaps to reveal a stunning ... turquoise handbag.
Yes, turquoise.
Surely you can imagine my sadness. After over a year of searching, I had been let down. (The way Hautelook works is they only get, say, one of something, so once it's sold, that it's. There are no exchanges for the "correct" or a duplicate item.)
Days after I got my refund from Hautelook (amazing customer service, by the way), I was out with my honey, getting him a haircut. He says to me, "Why don't we go into TJ MAXX? Maybe they'll have a handbag you like." Little Miss Mopey here, however, replied, "I doubt it. I was there the other day." And I went home.
The next day I thought, I guess it couldn't hurt. I need to look for gifts for the kids anyway. So off to TJ MAXX I went.
And there it was, this perfect leather cobalt blue handbag, just the size I wanted, and for only $35. I should have known their merchandise changes on a nearly daily basis. They were just waiting for me to get my refund from Hautelook before they put this beauty out on the floor. Silly me, I should have known better. And what better way to pair it than with an all natural outfit, just for that one extra special pop of blue color.
The lesson to be learned here? When all else fails, TJ Maxx will come to the rescue! They're like super heroes. Btw, this was one of my favorite spots in downtown Boone. I mean, if you're going to graffiti a wall, make it memorable. Then make it doubly memorable by gluing pieces of glass to the wall in the shapes of eyes. Honestly, it was so random, my photographer and I couldn't stop laughing.
Handbag: TJ Maxx || Sweater: Thrifted || Vest: Thrifted || Watch: Thrifted || Bracelet: GroopDealz || Boots: Payless?
Photography by Heather Thacker Photography
Sharing with:
Walking in Memphis in High Heels || The Pleated Poppy || Still Being Molly

No comments:

Post a Comment