Thursday, March 13, 2014

Refashion Inspiration | Katy Perry & The Puckered Rosette Dress

Image via Nasty Gal
Last month for Valentine's Day, Logan took me to Winston-Salem to go shopping at H&M. He knows how much I love that store, and he pretty much gave me free reign of it. It was delightful! I picked out a strapless black mini dress similar to the one above. H&M does not have the one I purchased on their website. I was so excited and have been waiting for it to warm up so I could pull this beautiful dress on. So imagine my angered surprise earlier this week when I found my brand new, tags-still-in-tact dress in the dogs crate. 

Yes, he had pulled it into his crate and chewed it up.

I was infuriated, yelling, sad, crying. I had tossed my old LBD out because it was, well, old. I was so excited to have a new one. One that fit my little body perfectly. Not a single loose piece of fabric anywhere. There wasn't a need to alter anything. It was the perfect LBD for me. I threw the dress across the room and swore the dog into non-existence. 

What I love about Logan is that when I throw a tantrum like that, he never tells me things like, "You're overreacting," or "it's just a dress." I am well aware that it's just a dress. But it is rare to find a gorgeous dress (or pants for that matter) that fit me so well and will still be flattering to my very straight figure. He kindly put Splash in his crate and went into the kitchen and made me something to eat. He even washed the dishes while he was in there. Later he said simply, "I know you, you'll find a way to fix it."
Then on Monday I went to the ER to get my shoulder looked at, and I flipped through their stack of outdated magazines, intentionally surpassing all the gossip. I always go straight for the lifestyle and home magazines. I decided to snag an issue of Marie Claire back from January. Inside was an interview with Katy Perry, and I was stunned by this puckered rosette top and bottom she wore. Is that not insanely sensational?!
As the article broke down the "how to achieve her look" I feasted my eyes on this dress featured from Saks Fifth Avenue. Now, the article says "Price Available Upon Request," which immediately tells me I couldn't afford it in my wildest dreams. But ... I can make my own! In fact, I now have a ruined dress that needs a little revamping! Oh, wait, I also have a Sizzix Big Shot that can cut fabric flowers out for me. This is looking more and more amazing by the second!

I guess the moral of this story is, it's hard to see the silver lining in the face of devastation, even if it is over just a dress. But it's encouraging when there are those that have faith in you and your talents. Logan was stoked when I leaned over and showed him the article and the refashion that had inspired me right then.

I ordered a die on Amazon the other day and am waiting for it to arrive. Once I do, this LBD is about to turn into a LBMPD -- Little Black Metallic Puckered Dress!

Happy Creative Inspiration,
Steph

No comments:

Post a Comment