Thursday, November 14, 2013

A Birthday Letter


Dear Liam,

Today you're seven years old. My mind still has a difficult time coming to grips with this fact. How do I have a seven-year-old? How can it be that seven years has passed already? 

I want you to know I pray many things for you each and every day. I pray that you will grow into a righteous man, one whose greatest desire is to serve Christ. I pray that as you grow, you learn to have a meek and humble spirit. I pray you overcome your shortcomings and do not let fear consume you, but rather allow yourself to be washed in God's loving grace all the days of your life. I pray you always hold onto to that silliness you surprise me with, for it is what keeps your mind grounded.

Did you know you're exceptionally intelligent? At just five years old you were asking me what gravity was, how it worked, and why God created it. Not since you were six months old has your brain stopped turning, always eager to learn something new. I pray that God has a plan to keep your mind occupied, to use it to its fullest potential, and to share His great works. Intelligence is fruitless if it lacks the knowledge of the Lord.

I also pray the Lord has a great woman for you someday, a helpmeet steadfast in His ways. I pray you love her as God commands you to. 

For now, I will continue to raise you in His ways, for He commands me, your mother, this: "Train up a child in the way he should go, and when he is old he will not depart from it." (Proverbs 22:6) Take heart, this seventh birthday, in knowing that I will train you up in the way of Lord. This is the greatest gift I will ever be able to give you.

All my love,
Your mother
Facebook        Twitter        Pinterest         Instagram        Email

No comments:

Post a Comment